Sunday 15 February 2015

Examples Of Gothic Architecture

One of the first places I considered when thinking of Gothic Architecture that I had come across was Highgate graveyard. I had visited there for previous work in photography due to its Gothic themes. It was first opened in 1839 due to there being inadequate burial spaces for the amount of mortalities. Situations were arising where undertakes were performing unauthorized burials and putting human remain in graves just a few feet deep. Therefore parliament statute to the effect that seven new private cemeteries were to be opened including Highgate.


Victorian Web Editor. (15 August 2013). The Chapels At Highgate Cemetery . Available: http://www.victorianweb.org/art/parks/highgate/3.html. Last accessed 15th February, 2015.

These are some of the photos I took when visiting, I went to the East Cemetery where it was more of the graves than the buildings. However this shows some of the angels that were so popular in Gothic Architecture. It helped me think of angles when taking photos that would make the graves look more creepy and gothic. If I wanted the photos to fit more into the gothic theme I would go again but in the evening so I could get an eerie atmosphere. 






I also drew and painted some of the Statues I found. 




Another Place that has many examples of Gothic Architecture is Paris, when I visited I came across many buildings with these beautiful designs including the Notre Dame. There were also Cathedrals and Follies with these designs.I love the detailing that goes into these buildings but I especially love the gargoyles as I think they really add to the Sublime of the buildings. 
Notre Dame

Notre Dame

Notre Dame


Notre Dame

Notre Dame





Follies




Reference:
Bickersteth, J . (No Date). History. Available: http://highgatecemetery.org/about/history. Last accessed 15th February, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment